Saturday, April 7, 2012

Finally...

I know it seems kinda late to be posting, but I couldn't wait to share this with you. After two or more years and much stop and go, I can finally announce that the Cable and Lace Scarf is finished!

This scarf was so tedious in the beginning, but it got easier as time went on. There were 24 rows to repeat over and over. Thus the tedious part. So it was easy to become enamored with  another project. Which happened a lot. I believe in the course of this scarf, I have finished, four baby hats, three scarves, a shrug, a hat, a pair of leggings, and two cowel's. Not to mention little stuffed toys. And yet despite the tedious nature of this scarf, I love it! I love it's intricate lace pattern and the cable up the side.

Getting a bath!

Taking a stretch on the couch

Being blocked

I love it so much I want to cast it on again! I just hope not to take two years to finish making the next one! In reality it only took me three months, if that, to make this scarf. If you add up the actual time I sat working on it and not the time it spent sitting in my basket, looking forlorn and wondering if I would ever return. The bulk of this scarf was done while waiting in the hospital. Last summer my father in-law became very ill. He had been ill for some time but it had climaxed and he landed himself in the hospital in need of emergency surgery. At the time Dear Husband and I lived 8 hours away. As soon as we heard what had happened we jumped in the car and away we went.  That was 8 hours with nothing else to do but worry and knit. And the knitting helped keep the big worry at bay. Then there was the hospital. There was waiting, and knitting, more waiting and more knitting.  This was the perfect scarf to work on really because it required focus, which helped take my mind off of all that was going on at the time and what changes Dear Husband and I were about to have to go through. Then of course when those potential changes became reality, well then I needed something  that took less concentration to work on. I needed easy, simple and fast. Something I could see the progress on right away and feel the accomplishment of finishing a project. So then, yet again, Cables and Lace got pushed to the back burner. But not now! Now it is finished! 

Wow there is quite a story with that scarf. And here I thought I was just going to show you pictures of the finishing steps and call it good. I guess some things are not that simple. What about you do you have any projects that have much bigger story to them than you thought they would? That just started out as another project but grew into something more?  

Despite the personal story that scarf became involved in for me, it will be getting shipped off this week to its new home with my friend. I promised it to her back when I first started it. Thank goodness she was not in a big hurry to receive it! Well at least now it will be like a surprise for her. She wouldn't be expecting a scarf now!  

Till next time,


Amanda

No comments: