Saturday, April 21, 2012

Yard Sale Season


It is yard sale season and I am so thrilled...I love the hunt for that special item. Or that really great deal. I remember, when growing up, looking forward to the Yard Sales my mom and family would do. I would make cupcakes or cookies.  My mom would help me make cupcakes or cookies so I could sell them for a quarter at the yard sale. With the money I earned I got to buy whatever I wanted. It was always exciting to see the comings and goings on that would take place during the weekend of the yard sale.

Granted there came a time when I would have died of embarrassment to be caught at a yard sale or even a second hand store. It wasn't cool and I was ashamed that we couldn't afford straight from the store things. That had to be the reason why my mother shopped at second hand stores right? She didn't go to yard sales and second hand stores because she liked it, right? Ha that very much was the case. Sure there were times when the budget was tight(I know this now). But  my mom liked to go. She enjoyed the hunt and getting that great find. You know the one I am talking about. Where you get that great item you know the value of, but the person you are buying it from does not or does not care!

I have found, like mother, I too enjoy going to the yard sales to see what I can find, what can I re-purpose. And since I know, in my case my shoe string budget does not allow me to go to Pottery Barn when ever I feel like it to decorate my home, I have to be creative and crafty!

For example check out what I found at a few yard sales I hit last week...
This wonderful white rack is going to the bathroom. It cost me a grand total of $4. Now that I can afford!  I have been looking around for a shelf for over the toilet since we moved into our house four months ago, and I could not find anything under $20.  And look at this guy! He has great structure and character, what with the scrolls and the overlapping circle border! What is not to love? There is a chance he won't stay white, but that has not been determined as of yet.  Look at how nice he looks in the bathroom! Its a perfect fit.
Just needs some peachy hand towels to finish the look.

I think we need a new picture for that frame. That on of Dear Husband just doesn't fit the surroundings of a bathroom!
I scored this beauty for $2. Now I am sure you frugal pros out there are probably yelling at me! Two dollars you say, why .25 cents is all you should have paid. That would have been a score! And maybe you are right, however they just don't make things like this anymore. Not that I have found anyway. And it was coming home with me that was for sure!  And it makes a great addition to the bathroom, especially once I get the arrangement all right, because what you saw before was just a first attempt. I am going to have to live with it a few days to see what else needs to be done with it!

As for the fabric scrap I got at the yard sale, I picked it up for free. Now you can't beat that. I don't know yet what its going to become. I loved its color and the texture of the fabric. Who knows maybe it will cover a frame? Or become hoop art? It destiny is unknown at the moment. Clearly if this what I have discovered at the beginning of Yard Sale season, I feel that hold out high hopes of it being a treasure filled summer! What about you? Has Yard Sale season begun for you? What treasures are you hoping to get?

Happy Yard Saling,

Amanda

No comments: