Friday, May 18, 2012

K.I.S.S.

Hello Everyone,

How has your week been?  Good? Bad? Exciting? Exhausting? A little of everything. Mine has been quite productive. So much so that I haven't even taken a little time to sit down and write to you all about it(I know shame shame. I will try not to overwhelm you now).  When I first sat down to write this post out to you, I didn't know how to gather my thoughts or what to say to express my feelings. I felt stuck in a wordless moment. Then while I was reading along in my Google reader, hoping the juices would start flowing, I found the answer to my feelings. Sarah from Thrifty Decor Chick hit it exactly on the head.  She was having a moment, just like I have been having a moment too.   I felt like my life was more stressful than it had to be, because I was not organized. I couldn't find my paper work, the house looked like a constant disaster zone(Sarah talks about this in her post. I highly recommend you check it out). I needed some help.  What I am trying to say is that I have hopes of  gaining some structure with this organizing challenge.  I am not all the way there yet. However I am starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

There was a saying I heard off of HGTV one time that has always stuck with me. The Designer on the show said whenever you are doing design in your home, or anything really, think K.I.S.S.  Keep It Simple Stupid. WOW! So simple and so important. Any time I start to feel overwhelmed with tasks around the house, I think of this saying and its like I am instantly calmed down. My brain tends to like to run away from me with wild and crazy ideas and before I know it I have complicated things when they didn't have to be. So K.I.S.S is what kept running thru my head as I did the next series of the 21 day challenge.

I ended up doing a combo of Day 4, Day 6 and Day 19 all into one! I got really zealous on Tuesday, having a day off from work and I wanted to break thru and get some stuff accomplished. It made more sense to spend my time doing the Linen closet, the Dresser Drawers and The Master closet because they are all in the same room(I know I said I wasn't going to go out of order but I just couldn't help myself on this one. I was already in the closet working on the linen self it seemed ridiculous not to do the rest of the closet too!).  My house being small and not a whole lot of shelf space readily available I actually turned one of the shelves in my closet into the linen shelf. Which works out fine because I don't have a whole lot linen anyway. Lets get to the before shots. Are you prepared for what you are about to see? No really. You may want to grab a chair and have a seat before you scroll down any further.
The Master Closet BEFORE:

You might remember seeing this picture from my Day 1 post, as I cleaned the floor of the closet for my project. Right now the linen shelf doesn't even exist. Its completely over run by shirts and some books.  Here is what the dresser top and drawers looked like.



 You can barely see the TV and DVD player that is on top of the dresser and the drawers are so crammed in there everything comes out a wrinkled mess. To say that I am ashamed is understatement. I would get one large scolding from my mama if she were to see the state of those drawers.  You know the drill by now, out everything came.
I got so lost into the cleaning and sorting that this was the only picture I snapped of everything before I set to put everything away. Seeing it cleared of everything was great. I really need to paint those cupboards. The whole room really, but that is a different project for another day. Remember K.I.S.S.  I weeded thru the clothes that were on the shelves and in the drawers. I got rid of two large trash bags of clothes. Stuff that we did not like or did not fit went into that bag. Its going to Goodwill. Now for the great reveal. I am so happy with how it turned out.
The Master Closet and Lined Shelf AFTER:
I found the green bins at Target for just $2 a piece. My clothes now hang by color.  The curtains I found at Walmart in the clearance section for $7 a pop. They are just the perfect pop of color that the room needed.
Dresser Top AFTER:

I absolutely love how the dresser top came out. The receipts got booted out to be sorted in the office and filed away.  Notice something missing? The TV and DVD player! They were not being used, so I moved them to my craft room. By doing that I cleared up space to put down my mirrored tray that I got at Target on sale for $11 five months ago. Now my perfume and bracelet holder have a pretty place to sit, with my earrings near by. The little box I also got at Target for $1(don't you just love Target?) its the perfect place for Dear Husband to land his things when he comes home in the evening. The flowers I got from my mama. I didn't have the room to keep them in my room before, but with this little round up I finally have  a place to put them.  The drawers shaped up nicely too.
 Whew! Are you as tired as I am from all that? Now all the room needs is a little paint and I think we can call it complete! So I am scratching off Day 4, Day 6 and Day 19 off my list. Tomorrow it will be Day 5 and Day 7. And it will be tomorrow even if it kills me! Have a great night.

Till Next Time,
Amanda

2 comments:

ashley @ design build love said...

wow! What a difference! Organization sometimes can really enhance the beauty of a room! Congrats on the closet (and dresser) makeover!

Amanda J Anson said...

Thank you! It did make a huge difference! Now I just need some paint and it will be complete.