Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Our Command Center


Hello everyone!

How are we doing today? Have you been crazy weather for January too?  This past week we have had rain for 3 days that melted off all the snow, then it turned around and froze then snowed! Everything became slick, and quite hazardous for everyone but especially to pregnant women!  However one thing I do love about this kind of weather is how it motivates me to bake and organize! Maybe its because the weather makes you want to stay indoors and those two activities are perfect indoor activities!

Well I have been working on cleaning off my dinning table again! I have known for some time now I really need an efficient command center. A place for things to land instead of on my table. Its a pet peeve of mine to have things piling up on my table and then the hubby is always wondering where things are. I wish I could blame him fully for the state of all this, but he is usually pretty good about getting things in a spot once I have asked him to put it there.

SO this one is all on me. I have not set up and introduced an effective command center, so naturally everything gravitates to the table, a solid open space.  I have put off getting a command center and organizing other things because I keep thinking I don't have all the things I need yet to make the project work... clearly a procrastinating technique and a poor excuse.  What I keep failing to realize is I have been planning this whole get organized thing for ages now.  Every time I have been at the store and saw something helpful and just the right price I would pick it up.  I actually have a ton of organizational stuff floating around my house that just needs to find a home and be put to use already!

Well no more excuses! Time to get this bad boy done! I started pinning command centers that I liked for inspiration. Here are a few that I really liked:
I really loved this one

I knew that baskets or slots and a big board of some kind were going to be important to me based off of the pictures I chose.  I kept worrying about making this all work though. I guess in a small way I was intimidated. Look at these pictures! They are perfect! So functional. I was afraid I couldn't get mine to turn out that way.  All that kept running thru my head was, How do I organize it so that it flows with what we do? I finally had to tell my self to just do it, try it, and you will figure it out. Some times I really hate how I think. I like to have things fully formed before I get them going to know the end result. But clearly I am delusional and need medical help, because how many times in life do things come fully formed before you give them a go? Like NEVER.

 My goal to completing my command center was to use things I already had in my house. I did not want to go to the store and buy a thing! I found a large cork board that we had bought over a year ago...

 And wall hanging file bins...
I love Target
After hanging these guys up I knew I wanted a coat rack to go below them. I had this long board on hand and some extra coat hooks lying around. They just needed a little paint.

So in just one afternoon... it didn't even take me all day I don't know why I put it off for so long...I had a Command Center!

I love how it looks! And remember this?
Well I moved him from his place over my dinning room window to over the cork board to tie in with the coat rack! Its perfect!  It still needs some tweaking. Obviously the cork board is empty for now. I need to see how notes go up there and see how its best to make sections on the board. I am thinking of buying some Washi tape and using it to make sections.  One of the bins will be used to coral mail. the other I am thinking I will make up some files for bills to be kept in.  I will have to update you on all that later. In the mean time I can scratch  a command center off my list of To Do's. And now maybe my dinning room table can stay clean!

Have you finished any much needed projects around your home that you were procrastinating needlessly on doing?  Hope you have a great day

Till Next Time,

Amanda

No comments: