Friday, May 4, 2012

Showin' off my Junk- Day 1 and 2

Hello Everyone!!!

Here I am already on the second day of the 21 day challenge to becoming organized and I already feel I might be slipping over the edge(the fact that I am on day 2 and need to combine it with day 1 might just be proving my point). Perhaps I am over analyzing it a bit. After all this is a challenge to get me organized, I am obviously not starting out that way other wise this would not be a challenge now would it?

I was so excited to get this challenge started yesterday that the night before I actually had a hard time sleeping, for thinking of the junk drawer I was going to tackle. Then I realized I don't have a junk drawer. Its more like Junk Corners and Floors and piles!
Horrifying isn't it?? I agree. I am mortified. This is proof right here that I NEED Toni's 21 Day Challenge!!  Honestly I am expecting Toni to pass out or track me down with a team of professionals from HGTV or TLC trailing behind her, after seeing the above photo!  Its awful! In a pitiful defense, it hasn't been that long since we moved into our home. However long enough that none of those photos should exist.  The above collage was collected after I did day 1 of the challenge.  See when I  realized that I have actually been pretty good about not having a junk drawer, I found that I had gained that victory in exchange for an explosion of junk everywhere else but in a drawer! Are you starting to see where professional help might actually be needed. However this is my mess and so  I gotta fix it. It may be that I will have to do a 40 day organize challenge! LOL.

Anyway on to what I did accomplish.

DAY 1:

BEFORE
Here is one of my Junk Floors and what I had time to tackle. Its part of our closet and had become a dumping ground. Shoes, bags, even a vase of flowers that no longer has a place in my room, a back pillow I like to use when I watch TV in bed. All of this stuff was starting to crowed the walk way getting to the closet and bed. Not exactly conducive to a good peaceful sleep or a great flowing daily routine. So out it all came.
The closet was starting to hoard dog hair in order to produce another dog exactly like ours! After cleaning the floor and shutting down the science lab in there, I put most of everything back in an orderly fashion.
AFTER
That is a lot better. Not perfect. But better. I really want to find a better place to put the decorative pillows for the bed at night, than the basket they are currently in. Where do you guys keep your fancy decorative bed pillows when you sleep at night?  Frankly I want to redo the whole closet. But that is not till Day 12. So till then it will wait(I'm sure Toni doesn't have a firm rule about when I actually get this done. But I am trying to form a new habit and I just feel like if I break out of line here where else will I start bending things??)

Now for DAY 2:

Day 2's challenge is to clean off the Computer Desk. Or where ever your desk may happen to reside. My computer currently resides on the Dinning room table. I am not happy about that. But I have not had the chance taken the time to get myself a proper work space set up. It is on my TO DO LIST.
BEFORE
The table seems to be more of a dumping ground than a place to have a nice home cooked meal. Taking a hard look at this space, I realize I am in need of a better system. I need to get a command hub started in this house. And preferably not the table, which is the current system. The table is a logical place I know. Its the first large surface you come upon when you enter our home. So naturally everything gravitates to it. The mail gets dumped here, Dear Husband loves to use it to work on his scheduling and other paper work. Its no wonder then why it looks like this. However with a command hub that incorporates our tendency to do this it can  go from looking like the above photo and look more like this:
AFTER

Oh soooooo much better. Now I can actually think. My side assignment with this challenge is to get my command hub set up, so that my table and can stay this way forever(along with tackling those other junk corners)! I will keep you posted on my side assignment.

I am ready to get to day 3. It might be a few days for that( I know that feels like breaking the rules, but I think Toni would understand this one. I have to go out of town for a couple of days for a funeral.)


Till next time
Amanda
  
You know I noticed during my morning routine of blog reading, that I am not the only one with the Organization Bug. Sherri from Young House Love has the fever and is doing a little weekly challenge herself. You should really check it out. And I am still head over heels in love with Jen's Blog.  I loved her posts on paper clutter and what she does to nip that in the bud.
 

No comments: